Monday, August 10, 2015

Week 19 in Tokyo

 Pretty sunset :) it made me think of that picture with Christ and the
Angels in the second coming.
 Blisters from the traditional shoes, haha.
 Traditional outfits



fireworks at the celebration









 Outside Ninja Training School










Dear family, 

Thank you for your letters and love! I love you all too! :) 
It sounds like it is a really hot summer! Haha. Working on the roof shingles sounds like a hot job! I'm sure it looks really good though. I thought I had experienced pretty hot weather, but In the last few days I've experienced a taste of what the rest of August might be looking like, haha. the past few days here have been close to 40 degrees, and then it's been really humid too! It's been pretty crazy! We step outside the apartment and start dripping sweat with how hot we are. Everyone here carries around a little cloth to wipe their faces during the summer. I started seeing this close to a month ago and I thought it was really funny. I thought to myself how I would never do that, haha but after this week I am happy to say that I have a couple of the same cloths that I carry around everyday now too. It's so hot!! 

This past weekend was really exciting! We were able to go watch fireworks with a few of our investigators and members from the ward. They were a lot better than the last ones- which really surprised me because I thought the last ones were way good. It was really fun! Our friends Minami and Megumi Chan let us borrow their Yukata's and we had so much fun wearing their transitional clothes. I will for sure send some pictures! :) We had a lot of fun. 
I can't believe it is August already! It's crazy how fast time has gone. Last transfer really flew by, and I'm sure this one will go by fast too. Can you believe I have been out on my mission for almost 7 months now? I've been in Japan for almost 5... Yeah, I'm not sure how time is working right now, haha. My mission is going to fast again. 
Today we had a district p-day in Asakusa- it's a big tourist place near Skytree-the big tower. I went there before with sister Trent and a bunch of other sisters a while ago if you remember. It was really fun to go again though! :) 

We picked up a new investigator this week, and she is amazing! I am always so amazed by how prepared people are to receive the gospel. We met her last week at Eikaiwa and last Monday I was able to talk to her a little bit. Our talk led to her asking me why I came on a mission and from there I was able to teach her a little bit about the Book of Mormon, prayer, and the 1st vision. She expressed that she wanted to come to church, and she came yesterday and had an amazing experience! She said that she wants to come again next week. We have been able to see her 3-4 times this week at different activities and we are so excited to teach her some more. Sister Ahn and I are hoping to begin teaching her the lessons this next week. It's very exciting! Koiwa is such a special place. There is a really special spirit here that is so strong, especially at church. 
In the chapel of the Koiwa church, there is a beautiful grand piano. Yesterday, after the meetings, we played and sang primary songs with our investigators Megumi and Minami Chan. They love the primary songs and they already have favorites. It brought tears to my eyes as I watched and heard them sing the song, "a child's prayer." 
1.Heavenly Father, are you really there?
And do you hear and answer ev’ry child’s prayer?
Some say that heaven is far away,
But I feel it close around me as I pray.

As a missionary, I have often felt God's love for the people we serve. As we sang, I felt so strongly of the God's love for both them. It was so special. Also, as a side note, this song is also sister Ahn's favorite primary song. After singing, I learned that they had both been listening to the primary songs on the lds website. Amazing! I then felt impressed to ask Megumi Chan if she had a favorite primary song. She said it was called, "I feel my Saviors love." When I heard that, the strong spirit I had felt before doubled as sister Ahn began playing it.  We all sang it together. It was a really special experience for me because this song is actually my favorite primary song. I felt the Spirit so strong in the room as they sang. 
2.feel my Savior’s love;
Its gentleness enfolds me,
And when I kneel to pray,
My heart is filled with peace.
He knows I will follow him,
Give all my life to him.
I feel my Savior’s love,
The love he freely gives me.

I feel my Savior’s love
And know that he will bless me.
I offer him my heart;
My shepherd he will be.
He knows I will follow him,
Give all my life to him.
I feel my Savior’s love,
The love he freely gives me.
There really are no chances. God's hands are so involved in our lives. I really felt that as we sang together yesterday. I thought it was amazing that out of all the songs they had listened to, their favorite songs happened to be sister Ahn and my favorite songs. This allowed us all to feel the spirit together and to bear our testimonies through song. It's so neat how the Lord works in our lives. They expressed their love for the primary songs and said they always felt so good when listening to them. Relating to their thoughts, I also couldn't help but think of when I served as a primary teacher and how so many times the children's voices and testimonies touched my heart. The primary songs are so powerful. This gospel is very simple and it is expressed in all good things, and the primary songs are a powerful witness of that. "By small and simple things are great things brought to past."

This week we have been really working with the ward members and getting to know them. The Japanese people by nature are very giving and kind. They have a hard time accepting things from people and just want to give all they have to others. I feel like I've learned so much from them about charity and Christlike love. I want to be more like them. As we have introduced our investigators to them and taught their families, I feel like we have been able to see a greater picture of who they are. I'm really grateful I can be here in Japan and learn from them. 

This week we were able to set a baptismal date with our investigator Kouno San! She has been investigating since my first week here and so we are really excited for her. She loves to learn about the gospel and has recently found a huge love for the Book of Mormon. She has been reading it everyday and always has something to show us from what she read. Her baptismal date is for October 25th, and she is really excited. :) It's been really neat for me to see the changes the gospel has made in her life over time. It's been neat to see this in all of our investigators lives. We are so lucky as missionaries to get to see the process of conversion over and over again. It really strengthens my own testimony and reminds me of how gracious God really is. He loves us so much and wants to answer our prayers. He knows our hearts and desires. He prepares us in so many ways for what we will face in the future. He knows our potential and he sees who we can become. Despite our many flaws and imperfections, He wants us to return to live with Him forever. His love is the love of a Father. I'm so grateful for this gospel and for the happiness it has brought me. It is the good news and I love sharing it everyday with people. :) 
Thank you all so much for your love and support. I love you all so much! Thank you for making my life beautiful. :) You are all so amazing. I'm so grateful for all of you. 
Love always, 

Sister Hubbard 

No comments:

Post a Comment