Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Week 15 in Tokyo





 Looks Like Janae's avacado plants are doing well :)

 Some pretty pictures of Tokyo
My dearest family!

It sounds like things are really moving along into summer there! It sounds like everyone is happy about school being over and that everyone is excited to have a break. Josh went to Graduation?! Haha, sounds fun! I can't believe he is getting that old. He'll be driving soon too... Crazy crazy. Have fun life guarding this summer Josh! 
Jianna! Just think, you never have to do that PAT again! Now that summer is here, you can just relax and have fun. :) 
It sounds like our garden is doing well and that it may be a hot summer! I can honestly say that I miss our garden veggies and working outside in the yard. Sounds like things are going well. 

This week has really flown by! Part of me is really grateful for that, but the other half of me is wondering where my time is going. Crazy! On the 15th of July, it will be be my six month mark! It's kind of scary to think about, but it's also helped me realized how much I need to make every day here count in the mission field. Anyway, Sister Ahn and I had so many teaching opportunities this week. One of the members in our ward called us and told us that she had a Korean referral for us. Since Sister Ahn speaks Korean, we were able to get in touch with this person. We met her this week twice, and it was been really neat talking with her. Even though I couldn't understand most of the conversation, because it was in Korean, I felt the spirit and was able to bear my testimony and sister Ahn translated it for me. It certainly gave me more confidence with my Japanese while listening to Korean because I couldn't understand a thing she was saying! Haha. This lady also speaks a little Japanese, but not as well as Korean. When she did speak Japanese, I was so so grateful, haha. I can really understand more than I thought. The second time we met her, we went out to dinner in this Korean restaurant. I've had some pretty spicy foods since being here in Japan, but nothing like this! The food was so spicy!! My mouth and nose were on fire! I guess I was pretty good at hiding it though, because the lady we were teaching said that she was way impressed, haha. I was impressed too! ... It gave me a little bit of a stomach ache later, and into Sunday, but I'm doing great now. We are excited to be teaching her some more this next week. 

We will be receiving our new mission president and his wife this next week- President and Sister Nagano! On Wednesday, we will be traveling to Nakano to meet them. (Haha that's kinda funny how close the names are..) 
Sister Ahn and I went on exchanges this past week with the Sister Training leaders. Sister Ahn stayed in Koiwa with Sister Reeder, and I went to Tokyo 1st ward with Sister Franks. Tokyo 1st ward is an English ward and so the Sisters in this area teach in English. I thought it was kind of a scary experience talking to people in Japanese before on trains and such, but I can say that doing it in the English was kind of a step out of my shell. I think I've been so used to speaking simple Japanese to random people that when I turn to English my simple sentences all of a sudden turn into long explanations, haha. Anyway, it was a neat experience to teach people in English again. It made me re-appreciate how grateful I am to the Sister missionaries who took me out on splits a couple times a week before coming on my mission. The Tokyo 1st sisters live in Ebisu, which is super close to the temple. There are four sisters that live In the apartment, and one of them was a sister for my MTC district. It was nice to see her again. It was also nice to see the Temple and I'm excited to go for sisters temple p-day next week. (my p-day will be on Tuesday next week)
While dendo-ing with Sister Franks, we went to go visit a less active woman who no one had seen for a really long time. We went over to her house with a member, and it was a really neat experience. When this lady opened the door, I immediately felt this urge to help her. Her house was bare, except for 2 white blankets that were laid out on the floor for her bed. She so looked frail and she was so small. She offered us food and we just couldn't take it. She was one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met in my life. She was probably in her 40s, but she was looked small. We were able to share a short message with her and I feel like I learned so much from her. It was an experience I will probably never forget. It gave me a greater understanding and helped me realize how much God really loves all of His children. He really does watch over them, even when they are struggling. I think that if it weren't for some of the things I have been through in the last couple weeks, that I may have not been as sensitive to the people around me, or been able to more fully understand their situations. As much as our trials and troubles hurt, they really do refine us and help us become more like God. In 3rd Nephi 24 and Doctrine Covenants section 128, it talks about the Lord as a refiner of Silver. I've heard that the process of melting and refining silver is a work that requires a watchful eye. As the small pieces of silver are melted out of the stone, at a certain temperature that is neither too hot nor too cool, the silver is able to form into its perfect strength and perfection. We are the same way. The Lord with His all seeing, watchful eye, allows us to struggle and learn because He knows our potential. He know how beautiful we can become, if we only trust in Him and let him shape us into the instruments He would have us be. These experiences allow us opportunities to act and to show the Lord what we are really made of. They allow us to show our loyalty and trust in God even when the wanted or needed blessings are being put on hold. As we exercise our faith, taking that first step, slowly, we can know and recognize the Lord's will and path for us. Everything really does happen for a reason. This experience helped me to remember these truths. 
While Sister Ahn was on exchanges, she and Sister Reeder were able to go and Visit Sister Ahn's  MTC companion's Grandma. We had only just realized that she lived in our area and she is not a member! She had a lot of fun doing that, and I am excited to meet her myself. I think she will listen to our message. :) We are excited about that. She is the second of 3 new investigators that we were able to find this week. The Lord is really blessing this area. 
Our investigators are doing well, and progressing towards baptism. I love meeting with them and teaching them. It is always amazing to me how the spirit can touch people's hearts and lead us to say things we couldn't say by ourselves. I've definitely felt that while speaking Japanese, but it is so true for anything we say when being in tune with the Holy Ghost. 

With how fast this transfer is going, and how well our investigators are doing, I'm really hoping that I will be able to stay here in Koiwa for another transfer. I guess we will see what happens and where the Lord wants me to be. :) I'm excited to go to the Temple next week. I'm grateful I can go once every transfer as it is such a blessing for me to sit and ponder for a little while. 
I've had a pretty good week. I'm so grateful to have loving friends and family who support me back home. Thank you for your letters during the week, and for your prayers in my behalf. I really do feel them. Thank you so much. I have been smiling all week! -thank you Jianna. :) Sometimes, making the conscious effort to be happy is difficult, but it is always worth it! One last scripture: 2 Nephi 2:22 

2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.

3 Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

4 And in that day shall ye say: Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.

5 Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things; this is known in all the earth.

6 Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion; for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee. 

I love these verses so much. The Lord has done so much for me, and this work is one way that we can praise His name. If you have felt to sing this song, the "song of redeeming love, I would ask, can you feel so now?"(Alma 5:26) I invite you all to continue to share your testimonies, not only through song, but through every talent that God has blessed you with. Help others hear the music of the Gospel through your examples, so that they too can be filled with this joy, and so that you can praise your Heavenly Father for all that He has given you. The Lord will let us go through hard things sometimes, but it is always for our benefit. He is making us into more beautiful and precious. Along the way, He will always be our strength and our joy. I know that as we serve Him and rely on Him that through His Atonement, we will be able to conquer every struggle we ever encounter.  He will become our Salvation. He will never fail us or forget about us. I love this gospel so much. It is so true. I'm grateful for what it teaches me everyday. We have no need to fear, because we know in who we trust. Our God is a God of miracles, and He will always be a God of Miracles. 
Love always, 

Sister Hubbard xoxo
ハバード  姉妹 

No comments:

Post a Comment