Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 6 is Tokyo

 Okinomiyaki ingredients (pancake thing they make)
Sister Hubbard and Sister Trent


This is a banana soup, with pineapple and sweet potato! Haha it was
good. The thing on the side is some sort of something yummy... It has
Veggies inside, and it was good! :)
 View out our window in the apartment. Lots of rooftops! Sister Trent
and I always talk about how fun it would be to jump from roof to roof.
We never will though. :)
This outfit is a normal thing in Tokyo haha :)

Dearest family! 

First of all, I would like to announce that I am no longer a 1st transfer missionary! Today is the first day of my second transfer. Today was also transfer calls... My companion and I had been stressing about them all week, but we are happy to say that we are going to be together for another transfer! We love Kiowa. It is an amazing place. I'm so grateful to be here, For our investigators, and for not being transferred, haha. Sister Trent is the greatest! I love her so much. I learn so much from her everyday. This weekend was a little bit stressful for me, but everything turned out to be amazing! Our ward had a music night and sister Trent and I and the elders were asked to perform in it. Sister Trent had an idea to put 3 hymns together about the Savior together to testify of his birth, death, and resurrection. Often, on p-days, we come to the church and play the piano and sing together. Sister Trent has a beautiful voice. Anyway, I ended up playing the piano and she and the elders sang. We mixed, silent night, behold the great redeemer die, and he is risen, together. It was beautiful! I've picked up a new talent. I can mix hymns together in medleys really well. I didn't know I could do that, but I tried and did it! Gods helping me to develop my musical talents here. The ward loved it! Also, we sang in church a few weeks ago.
On Friday night, a member of our ward called us and asked me to speak in sacrament meeting on Sunday. I froze, when sister Trent told me what I had agreed to do! (I couldn't understand the whole phone conversation) I only had a couple hours to prepare and I was assigned to speak for ten minutes! At the time, I was so overwhelmed. My Japanese is coming, but I can honestly say that speaking for 10 minutes in Japanese sounded a little bit scary. After lots of prayer, and practice, I felt a lot better though. On Sunday, I was the first speaker. They called my name, and instantly, every single worry I had left me. I walked up to the pulpit and spoke for 5 minutes. I shared 2 scriptures, reading from the Japanese scriptures, and talked about elder Eyring's prophecy. After this, I bore a testimony for the last 5 minutes. I remember looking directly at the whole congregation and being perfectly confident. It was an amazing blessing. I felt the Lords strength so much, and he filled my mouth with the Japanese words I needed to bare my witness of Jesus Christ. I can't believe it all, but I spoke without notes for those last 5 minutes. God truly helped me, because there is no way I could be that calm and speak for that long. Our investigators were there, and it was such a great experience for me. I'm really grateful for it. :) 

Lots of questions this week! :) Here you all go! 
What is your favourite part of your everyday routine? 
Everyday, my companion Sister Trent and I study for 4 hours, personal study, companion study, language study, and then we do my 12 week new missionary training program. As much as I love studying, My favorite part of the day is when I leave the apartment and go dendo! :) (missionary work)
Do you get nervous when tracking? 
I actually love tracking. I've always loved tracking! It's really neat to talk to people on the street and to 'ping pong' people's doorbells. Even when we are rejected, I think it's a lot of fun. It's neat to meet different kinds of people and to feel the spirit prompt you to say different things when they open the door or walk down the street. Sometimes I am prompted to bring up eternal families right away. Sometimes I begin with life after death, or even just how to be happy in general. It's really fun to watch people's eyes and see them wonder and connect. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it is worth every rejection. :)
What scripture has helped you the most? 
Mmmmm... This is a tough one, probably this one. 
50 And I said unto them: If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.

51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should [learn Japanese]...?
(1 Nephi 17: 50-51) 
I love it! I found it my first day here, and it has inspired me ever since. Definitely a tender mercy for me. 
What do you do on P-days?
Well, last week I went to sky tree! That was great! Once every transfer I get to go to the temple in Hiroo, which is awesome! It's beautiful. Other than fun things like that, I do laundry...beat my futon, haha... And just other things like cleaning and writing my family and friends. 
What has been the most meaningful thing yet on your mission?
Everything is so full of meaning and purpose. This is a hard one. I love teaching people, as I said before, I love seeing people when they feel gods love for the first time, or feel the spirit. I love seeing the light that enters them, and the hope it gives them. This has been probably the most meaningful thing- connecting people to Heavenly Father and having them realize he is actually there. 
What has been the hardest thing so far on you mission? 
This one is easy! Japanese! Haha. I'm learning really fast though, according to sister Trent and the other missionaries in our zone. I've been really blessed. :) 

What do you usually eat? 
My companion and I love okinomiyaki! It's like a big pancake thing with cabbage, shrimp, fish, egg, and a few other things. It also comes in little balls called, tako yaki, and sometimes we buy it if we are out and are feeling like it. Tako yaki kind usually has octopus inside of it, and we eat it with fish flakes, kyupi, and bulldog sauce! Hontoni oishii!! We make the pancake kind and eat it atleast 3 times a week, haha. I've sent pictures before, but maybe I'll send them again. :) 

Our mission President, President Budge, has a really big testimony of exact obedience. He always encourages us to try and be better in this area. Our mission has a really great culture as far as this goes. Everything else is wonderful too. :) Our mission focus right now is member present lessons (elder Eyring's prophecy). Sister Trent and I have been trying really hard to take members with us when teaching. Also, we are trying many different things to help the members have more 'dendo Fire.' They are already wonderful. :) I can see Elder Eyring's prophecy coming true. We always encourage the members to talk to their friends about the gospel and as a result, we picked up two new investigators this week as referrals from the members. We were able to teach both of these people and they were amazing lessons! We taught one of the, about the Plan of Salvation and it was so powerful. The knowledge of life after death brought this lady to tears of gratitude and a string desire to pray. After praying, she said she knew everything we said was true. The member present, then asked sister Trent and I to sing. We did so, and we sang, "I know that my redeemer lives," in Japanese. This investigator was so touched, and our member was crying also. It was such a powerful lesson. Our other lesson was similar. :) 
We met some really amazing people this week! Sister Trent and I are trying a new style of dendo lately. While, housing we ask people if we can sing for them! It's been great so far. We figure we should use our talents together more. Right now, we are writing songs together about the savior, his love, and our investigators. Sister Trent has a lot of musical talent. 

If anything this week, I've learned so much to rely on the Lord. Both when times are hard and when they are good, we should always look to God for his help and show gratitude for what He has done. I love being a missionary so much. My first transfer went so fast, and I hope my mission doesn't keep getting faster. I love each day so much. Even when it is hard, I love being here. Japan is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. The people here are amazing! I love them so much.  

I wish I could say more, but I'm running out of time. Thank you so much for all of your letters! :) I love you all so much. It's good to hear that you are doing well. This week, I encourage you all to pray for an opportunity to share the gospel with others. I promise, as you do so, that you will have an opportunity to share the gospel with others. "The lord sends prepared people to his prepared servants."- Elder Eyring.
This church is true. I feel Gods love everyday, and I know he loves and cares about you all so much. Thank you for everything! 
Love always, 

-Sister Hubbard xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment